Language Art Principles that are Evident in my Teaching
Introduction
This analysis consists of
- A reflection on the principles of language art instruction in my teaching and how it positively affected the outcome of my deliveries in language art classroom.
- An assessment on the effects of the principles that I have never considered in my teaching experience and examples of how I incorporate the principles in my Language Arts classroom.
- Briefly description on teacher’s perspective of language art Instruction.
Principle 1
Language arts classroom must be positive, comfortable and challenging environments and class in which student learn concepts that they value.
Classroom should be child friendly, and student centered. Pupils should be comfortable to express themselves at any time. This will allow pupils to asked questions and make mistake; they would not feel ashamed or shy when doing so.
As a teacher, I always try to make my pupils feel free to express themselves in the classroom. According to Costa & Lowry (1989) with your leadership pupils will begin to realize that they can produce meaningful ideas in the minds of others.
In the classroom while teaching language art, I allow my pupils to share their different ideas, I always tell them to try, if they don’t try how would they know if you are correct. When mistakes are made, I encourage them to try again.
This principle of language art has greatly improved my language art lesson, my pupils are freely expressing themselves in and out of the classroom, they are not afraid to ask or answer questions, they admit when they are confused about something.
Principle 2- Students engage in authentic task.
As a teacher, I have always engaged my pupils in authentic tasks. This type of tasks has positively affected pupils learning since it allowed them to connect to real life experience, to experiment with various things and observe the outcomes. It also allows pupils to write ideas that are their own and practice problem solving skills.
For example, when teaching composition in the classroom, we first brainstorm or conduct short research based on topic (how to make cheese sandwich) pupils express their ideas on the topic and experiment before they write the composition.
I once did this activity with my class, first I let them gather the ingredients. We discussed how they make their cheese sandwich, what they will do first? I had them make same in groups of 4, when they were finish, I asked them to explain how they made the sandwich and which way they think would be the best way to go about do so. We agreed on one method and the order of the steps. From those hands-on activity, they were able to express their ideas in an expository writing piece.
This principle helps learners to organize their ideas and put it into writing.
Principle 3- Classroom instruction in speaking, writing, reading, listening and viewing is integrated so that one can improve other.
As a teacher I would incorporate the six language art strands in my composition lessons. I find that this make composition writing fun.
How I would integrate these strands:
For the topic family tree – first the pupils and I would brainstorm and discuss what’s a family tree and talk about pupil's families. We would observe a family tree and orally analysis and answer questions based on same and finally I would have the pupils create their family tree and I would guide them throughout the activity.
When using this principle, my composition lesson would have a smooth flow. From listening and speaking, reading and viewing, writing and representing.
As Vygotsky stated (1962) when speech begins to serve intellect and thought begin to be spoken…the child’s sudden, active curiosity about words, his question about every new thing; and the resulting rapid, saccadic increase in vocabulary enable thoughts to become verbal and speech rational.
In the discussion pupils would share their experience, different ideas, culture and background.
It is important that these strands be incorporated especially into reading, composition and comprehension lessons. They have improved my composition lessons.
Principle 4
Language art teachers know they are important forces in their students’ lives. They continuously work to nurture characteristics that correlate with high student achievement.
As a teacher, I always believe that I am the role model for my pupil. Knowing this I model different morals that I would like my pupils to appreciate and display in and out of the classroom. I'm always encouraging them to do their best in everything that they do.
Pupils are free to express them self, we have small talks about different experience they may have and about their characters. This encourages them to express themselves which improve their performance in the classroom.
As an educator, I try my best to always have a positive attitude toward everything, because sometimes pupils mirror my attitude. For example, I've notice on varies occasion that if I don’t approve of a certain behavior my pupils will try their best to don’t do that. If I prefer a particular subject such as mathematics, they will enjoy that subject.
I think this principle is one of the best because it not only allows teachers to learn more about their learners and it's allowed teachers to mold their learners into becoming excellent person. It made me reflect on my teaching and the way I approach situations with learners.
Principle 5-
Just as the printing press had a significant impact on oral traditions, technology is enhancing the role that books, magazines and newspaper serve in the student language learning.
Technology plays a major role in today society. It opens a lot of possibilities for pupils with different learning style and provide opportunity for pupils to learn new skills.
According to Calfee (1994) technology also demands higher language use than is possible without it. By using technology in classroom, we are teaching our pupils new skills that maybe helpful in preparation to their future.
Technology is involved in our day-to-day activities, and it is always improving. As an educator I usually integrate technology in my language art lessons whether it’s the used of audios, videos, creating videos or research using the computer or internet.
I found that pupils are actively engage in lesson when using the television and audio, the discussion that follow are very interactive, pupils openly express their understanding and ideas. This helps me to cater for the different types of learning in my classroom and provide activity that suited all learners.
With the pupils in my classroom, I find that teaching with technology they are excited to learn, this create a positive effect on learning outcomes.
This principle helps with differentiating instruction and cater for all types of learners and their different needs. It also helps with listening skills and sometimes research and creativity.
Principle 6
It is important to solicit student’s voice and choices in the language art. Such pursuit increase students’ confidence and broadens their perspectives.
It is important as teachers that we should know that there are multiples paths to meaning and various point of view. There is not only one way something can be done, not only your way is the correct way. The learners voice must be heard.
As Suzuik (1979) stated multicultural education basically amounts to sound educational practice coupled with a vision for a better society.
Each learner comes from a different cultural background and as teacher I would allow my pupils to voice their own opinions, I allow them to connect with their classmates and myself through their experience and culture background.
When I allow my pupils to share ideas from their different cultural background, it opens a pathway for new ideas, new ways of thinking. Something I find they are thinking of thing I never thought of. We learnt new thing from each other.
For example, I was doing a reading passage (David from the Pakaraimas), and a question was asked. Do you think David’s father was kind? Why? David's father was a hunter. Most pupils answer yes, because he shared his games. But a few pupils said no, because he is killing the animals, he is not kind to animals. Here you see that pupils proceed thing differently.
When we allow pupils to share their culture background it provides an opportunity to learn something new.




Comments
Post a Comment